Monday, June 15, 2009

Two five ones! Tune Up by Miles Davis

Very common in jazz songs are the famous ii-V-I progressions. I chose to practice along to the "Tune Up" progression by Miles Davis (just much slower). We have:

Em7 - A7 - Dmaj7 (two bars)
Dm7 - G7 - Cmaj7 (two bars)
Cm7 - F7 - Bbmaj7 - Ebmaj7
Em7 - A7 - Dmaj7 (two bars)

If you have a "Real Book" (which you should), you will find this to just be the chorus through the second ending. But it's great because if you look at them, they are just "two five ones".

My strategy: I really just tried to hit chord tones. For example, when the A7 came around, I looked to land on the A, C#, E, or G. How did I get these notes? Well, Adom7 is really in the key of D major, thus giving us two sharps, F# and C#. It's good to get to know how to find the thirds, fifths, and sevenths of ANY chord, and to know what the accidentals are you can either think in terms of intervals OR in the major (or minor) key that the chord actually corresponds to (correct me if I'm right).

Learn how to calculate key signatures and then test your knowledge of key signatures.

Yes I linked back to musictheory.net, because it's the best thing I've found for this stuff.

And finally my track. Nothing special, I know. It's cause I'm practicing.

Tune Up jam

No comments:

Post a Comment