Sunday, June 14, 2009

Thirds, sixths, "nths"

File this lesson under the "Ways I will try and make my understanding of the fretboard better" folder. Were you like me when you learned the guitar in the sense that you learned patterns and just shifted whenever you wanted to play in a different key? Yeah, that seemed like a good idea at first. I'm gonna try to actually OWN the fretboard. Know the notes and UNDERSTAND what I'm actually doing.

So in this practice session I went back to basics by playing on only the top 2 strings in the key of C major (no flats or sharps!). But I also focused on playing intervals of major and minor thirds (dictated of course by the notes in the key). Example: C-E is a major third interval. A-C is a minor third interval. There are too many sites on understanding intervals, so I won't attempt to explain it. I'm just practicing, right?

Rules to this game:

-Top two strings ONLY
-Use intervals of thirds a lot
-Try and make some music out of such limitations

It's a fun game. Check out some of the audio samples from that. The next game was then to focus on intervals of sixths as well. So in that clip, you'll hear me messing with thirds and sixths and individual notes. I did cheat here and used the 3rd string, but only when playing intervals in sixths. I could have played them on adjacent strings, and in fact I did/will continue to do more. I promise.

And since the vamps may seem boring (but oh so useful), I finished up with a "jazzier" progression (i.e. a standard ii-V-I). Same rules: thirds, sixths, two strings (yes I cheated with the 3rd string).

Lessons learned:
-You can play on 2 strings and still make music!
-Training with intervals actually helps you see the fretboard better

For the future:
-More strings (or one string)
-More intervals
-More keys
-More modes

Essential:
-Fretboard Trainer: practice the fretboard often (and everything else on there)

D minor, two strings, third intervals


Gdom7, thirds and sixths, two strings


ii-V-I in Cmajor: thirds, sixths, and two strings

No comments:

Post a Comment